Naturopathic Doula Service
What is a doula?
A birth doula attends the birth to provide emotional, physical and educational support to mom and her partner before, during and after childbirth. A birth doula does not replace your primary care provider (Midwife, OB or GP), but is there to help mom have a safe, memorable and empowering birth experience. Having a doula as part of your birth team has been shown to have many benefits including:
- reduced anxiety
- reduced C-section rates
- improve birth experience
- improved maternal and fetal health
- reduced complications and medical interventions
Why an ND Doula?
As a Naturopathic Doctor, I never take that hat off. While providing doula care, I am also able to provide all the modalities afforded under my Naturopathic Medical License. This includes:
- Herbal medicine
- Complimentary meet and greet.
- 2 prenatal visits (Discussion on what to expect during labor and delivery- physiological changes, possible interventions, pain management options and answer all birthing questions. Also, creation and discussion of birth plan.
- Birth attendance for duration of labor and support after baby is born.
- 1 postnatal visit (assess baby and new mama for healing, feeding and mood)
- Option to use all Naturopathic treatment modalities.
- Unlimited phone and email birth support.
- Photographs of your birth, if desired.
Please note, due to the commitment and demands of being a doula, I am only able to take on a small number of clients each year. It is highly recommended to have a full Naturopathic Intake as priority is given to current patients. Since Naturopathic doctors are regulated health practitioners, services, including doula services, are eligible expenses under extended health benefits.
Dr Jessica Gurske, Naturopathic Doctor Kitchener Waterloo