Naturopathic Doula Service
What is a doula?
A birth doula attends the birth to provide emotional, physical and educational support to mom and her partner before, during and after childbirth. A birth doula does not replace your primary care provider (Midwife, OB or GP), but is there to help mom have a safe, memorable and empowering birth experience. Having a doula as part of your birth team has been shown to have many benefits including:
- reduced anxiety
- reduced C-section rates
- improve birth experience
- improved maternal and fetal health
- reduced complications and medical interventions
Why an ND Doula?
As a Naturopathic Doctor, I never take that hat off. While providing doula care, I am also able to provide all the modalities afforded under my Naturopathic Medical License. This includes:
- Herbal medicine
- Complimentary meet and greet.
- 2 prenatal visits (Discussion on what to expect during labor and delivery- physiological changes, possible interventions, pain management options and answer all birthing questions. Also, creation and discussion of birth plan).
- Birth attendance for duration of labor and support after baby is born.
- 1 postnatal visit (assess baby and new mama for healing, feeding and mood)
- Option to use all Naturopathic treatment modalities.
- Unlimited phone and email birth support.
- Photographs of your birth, if desired.
Please note, due to the commitment and demands of being a doula, I am only able to take on a small number of clients each year. For this reason, I limit clients to current patients, a full Naturopathic Intake is required to become a patient. Since Naturopathic doctors are regulated health practitioners, services, including doula services, are eligible expenses under extended health benefits.
Dr Jessica Gurske, Naturopathic Doctor Kitchener Waterloo